I spent all of yesterday at Book Con 2015 in Manhattan. It was wall to wall writers, readers, publishers, fans, and celebrities. I’m not sure which presentation was the most interesting, which was the most inspiring, or which was the most meaningful, and I could write forever about it. But since none of us have that kind of time I thought I would summarize some of the highlights of what I brought home yesterday from BookCon.
1. New Yorkers are the most colorful, interesting, interested and friendliest people in the world. Even when it’s hot and crowded and you’re hungry and tried. I love every one of them.
2. Celebrities turned authors are really smart people.
3. Every woman in a long line for the ladies room is thinking “We should just take over that men’s room too, ” and it only takes one of us to say it out loud before the army forms into guards, monitors, and infiltrators.
4. Macaroni and Cheese is a popular focus for a surprising number of cookbooks.
5. There’s a crazy number of ways to get from where you are to where you want to be. It all depends on how badly you want to be there and how willing you are to navigate the the obstacles that get in your way.
I have to mention too that I brought home a lot of swag and a couple of new books. Next year I will do a little advanced planning, like bringing lunch. I did trade a guy my John Green ticket for a bag of trail mix. I had to leave early and my daughter was hungry.